March 2013

March 13, 2013

South From Kilimanjaro – South Pare Mountains

Filed under: South Pare Mountains — Tags: , , — Tanzania Odyssey @ 3:35 pm

South Pare Mountains

The rural spread of the Southern Pare mountains is also a magical, forested expanse of hidden villages, valleys and homesteads clinging to steep handmade terraces, with plenty to inspire an inquisitive mind. The tourism project here is located in high in the Mbaga Hills, in an area with an extraordinary local and colonial history. The traditional Pare culture is still much in evidence, and witch doctors from here are so renowned that people travel long distances, even urban dwellers from Arusha venture this far south to decipher unusual problems. Areas such as Malameni Rock, where children were sacrificed to appease evil spirits until the 1930s, can now be climbed after receiving special instruction from the hut below. It is not far from here to the legendary Mghimbi Caves, which provided a natural hideaway and haven for local tribes during slave raids. Both of these can be visited on a half day walk. More spiritualism can be found among the tropical fruit trees and banana palms in Ikongwe Village, reached in a full day excursion from Mbaga, a beautiful and fruitful area that is believed to be a gift from the heavens, and where now a very distinct religious community has developed. Another area considered with great respect by local communities is Mpepera Viewpoint atop Mpepera Hill, where a cross has been erected to represent the peace between the resident Catholic and Protestant communities. The viewpoint is used by locals as a peaceful area for prayers, and gives excellent views of Mount Kilimanjaro, or the Mbaga Hills and Mkomazi Game Reserve when the skies are clear. Full day walks can also be arranged into local villages to visit families practising traditional methods to brew quantities of beer or longer hikes through unspoilt woodland such as Shengena Forest. Here it is possible to camp under the stars and wake up for a sunrise hike up Shengena Peak, the highest point in the Pare and Usambara Mountains at 2,463m above sea level, and discover fresh springs and troops of colobus monkeys and enjoy magnificent views over Same and Lushoto. All or any of these can be visited with the great company of local Pare guides contacted via Tona Lodge (see below), who are keen to explain any questions regarding their cultural and natural environment with an ever improving command of English.

History

The Pare are known to have had an extensive fortified capital, under their chief Ghendewa. He started and managed a conscript army and masterminded a unified tribe with a ‘sophisticated social system’. Ghendewa was killed fighting the Chagga. Reverend Jacob Jenson Dannholz missionary from Leibzig came to live in Mbaga for approximately 10 years between 1908 – 1917, and built a church and farmhouse on Tona Moorland. Locally known as The White Man’s House, but it is officially named ‘Dannholz Cottage’ in honour of the man who built it. This has been used by the missionaries ever since, and four bedrooms are available for visitors.

March 12, 2013

South from Kilimanjaro – Amani Nature Reserve

Filed under: Amani Nature Reserve — Tags: , , , , — Tanzania Odyssey @ 3:54 pm

The German colonial government soon realised the rich potential of this mountain region for growing crops, and although the coffee plantations in this region were not terribly successful, they had far greater rewards from plantations of sisal, tobacco, and spices. Their environmental studies developed the Arboretum at Lushoto, and they soon became aware of the unusual density of wildlife in the Western Usambara Range. In 1902, thirteen forest reserves were surveyed and gazetted, including 8,380ha at the Amani Nature reserve north of Muheza. This incorporates 1.065 ha now owned by private tea companies managed by the East Usambara Tea Company and the Amani Botanical Garden, one of the largest of its kind in Africa. A large number of indigenous species were left rooted, and over 1,000 species of exotic trees were imported from foreign climes. Many of these can still be identified by their ancient metal nameplates, still legible if a little dusty, but the botanical garden is now extremely overgrown and large areas are remain impenetrable. Walking paths that have been cleared enough to enjoy run from the top of the hill near to the Rest House and Research Centre, a steep climb by all accounts, even in a tough 4×4 vehicle in which you will be inundated by tea plantation workers desperate for a lift.

The Research centre was officially closed during World War II, although it made a contribution to the war effort in devising quinine from the local cinchona tree. When the British finally had time to invest in area after the war they planted 2,200 hectares of tea plantations in cultivated regions and built a hydroelectric power station, the remnants of which can still be seen. They reopened in 1953 the research centre with the emphasis only on Agriculture, and then moved this department to Kenya in 1961 and it finally became a centre for Malaria Research, and remains so to this day.

Despite concerted efforts to regenerate this resource for tourists today the Botanical Gardens and Forest Reserve still remain sorely under developed in this respect. The old German stationmaster’s house, dating from between 1905 and 1910 has been beautifully restored and converted into a fine Information Centre for the reserve. Plans are afoot to develop maps and a guidebook for visitors, although these were not available at the latter end of 1999.

South from Kilimanjaro – Usambara Mountains

Filed under: Usambara Mountains — Tags: , , , — Tanzania Odyssey @ 3:51 pm

There is only one tarmac road into the Usambara Mountains, and this is the one that wends from Mombo to the small waterfall-focused town of Soni, and along a wonderfully lush and picturesque river valley to Lushoto, the centre of regional administration. This extraordinary region is tucked high in the hills, with a surprising local and colonial history. Again the region has an aura of sublime natural beauty, with deep valleys and rushing mountain streams at the foot of steep terraced hillsides that rise up to meet the misty morning. In their dense thicket an abundance of plant species has earned this often overlooked hidden corner of Tanzania a name as ‘the Galapagos of the plant world’.

The Usambara Range divided into East and West by the 4km wide Lwengera Valley, that lies in between.

The West Usambaras

All of the mountains in this eastern arc are ancient, far exceeding the age of Kilimanjaro and Meru, and are thought to have formed as mountains around 25 million years ago, although the rock itself was up to 600,000 years old. When this rock was forced upwards it formed an island of plant life that has since enjoyed a haven of climatic stability, so rescuing such species from the intensive heat of the plains. But while the indigenous African Violet thrived in its quiet, natural state, subsequent populations of man in these mountains suffered a endured a far less stable existence. There is evidence of early iron-working Neolithic settlements in these mountains between 3000 and 3,500 years ago, and then an influx of Bantu peoples around 2,000 years ago who are thought to have migrated from the Congo. Some of these intermingled with the original tribes, and thus originated the Shambaa, or Sambaa, people of the Usambaras today. The Shambaa clans traditionally welcomed refugees to their mountainous realm and supposedly lived harmoniously with their neighbours although little is known historically until the early 18th century and the arrival of the first king of the Usambaras, Mbega, father of the Kilindi Dynasty. Family members of this ruling class are remembered with reverence and awe, and rumours abound as to how their magical powers were strong enough to make rain, and their pale coloured eyes and distinctive pale skin coloration. King Mbega was also reputedly a professional bushpig hunter from the Nguru Mountains, who considerately took a wife from each clan and provided each with a son to rule it. But when the infamous Maasai tribe assembled on the westward plains and began to threaten the Shambaa livelihood in a determined and warlike quest for grazing land and cattle, the mountain tribe developed greater political and military structures under the leadership of Mbegha’s grandson, Kinyashi. From the middle of the 1800s the Usambaras were fraught with violent struggles as they were subject to attacks from their neighbouring tribes plundering livestock and food, and from slave traders, but thanks to its elevated position and respected cultural hierarchy the kingdom survived. On Kinyashi’s death his son Kimweri (of the Kilindi dynasty) was proclaimed ‘Simba Mwene’, the Lion King, and he became a powerful military leader, eventually controlling of much of the Southern Pare Mountains from his base at Vuga, near Soni. But as the local clan chiefs, Kimweri’s sons, became more adept at raiding the slave caravans for arms to retaliate invasions, they then began infighting for greater power, so decentralising and weakening the dynasty. Vugu was just retained as the Shambaa capital, and the background of military organisation enabled the Shambaa tribes to support 1888/9 Abushiri Uprising, but the weakening power base allowed the German Administration to walk in at the latter end, having quashed the rebellion. Arriving at a time of chaos and disarray enabled the Europeans to persuade individual chiefs to sign away their territories for small reward. The cool, pleasant climate of the Usambaras attracted a number of settlers to its wide green valleys and so charmed the German administration that they originally wanted to make it their colonial capital, and called the town Wilhelmstal after Kaiser Wilhelm. The land is wild and steep, but the newcomers implemented building and engineering that still reflect their governmental attitudes. They constructed a solid cobblestone road to climb the 33km between Mombo and Lushoto which remains mainly unchanged to this day (although resurfaced), and it is still possible to see their original brickwork in the many mountain stream bridges along the way. This rises on a gentle incline, to allow their oxcarts to pass back and forth with heavy loads, and is shaded by an imposing avenue of wide trunk plane trees. Settler farming flourished, encouraging a number of stone homes designed in the colonial style, still much in evidence today, and the area was cultivated, albeit with some shaky starts. The Germans set out with grand plans to develop coffee plantations here, but having cleared the forest and planted crops it became evident that the new plots did not provide enough shelter. Fruit trees, however, flourished, especially pears and plums, and the area continues to export fresh produce around the country. Success was also found in plantations of sisal, which made certain planters wealthy men with the freedom to set up country retreats in areas such as Lushoto, where crops also extended to rubber, cotton, tobacco, sugar, wheat and maize. After the Versailles Treaty of 1919 Tanganyika was made a Mandate Territory under the League of Nations and then awarded to Great Britain for administration. Although the British discouraged settlers, there were many civil servants who did need and build their own houses. Many of these good-looking buildings can still be found around the Lushoto area, adding to the bizarre combination of old colonial German and British alongside African homesteads all situated in a distinct natural and yet well cultivated landscape.

What to do in the West Usambaras

The excellent tourism office in Lushoto town (signposted left past the bank) is extremely helpful in organising guides for driving, walking or hiking around the area. They provide numerous options for camping, overnight stays with local families or days out, and guides are likely to charge a fee per person per day on top of the $10 charge paid to the Tourism Project. One of the easiest and most impressive natural areas to reach on an enjoyable walk from the town centre is Irente Viewpoint. This is a wild rocky outcrop, approached along a narrow, flower-fringed walkway and emerging at a giddy windblown height above the Maasai steppe. Views are superb, and nearby scenery is impressively dramatic. The round trip takes between three and four hours on foot from the town, although anyone with private vehicles are able to drive a large portion of the way if desired. An old campsite cunningly named both Viewpoint and Bellavista Campsite has been renovated and improved by Louis, the charismatic proprietor who obviously has exciting plans for his campsite and his cooking, although so far guacamole is the only recommendation. Prices presently seem to reflect future aspirations, and are no doubt negotiable (Tsh 5000 rent, Tsh 2000 park) . Any guide from the tourism office can show you the way to Irente viewpoint, but the route is clear from Irente Farm. The farm has developed as a worthwhile stopover for buying picnic goods, since it has established as a reliable producer of wholemeal breads and jams and fresh dairy products, (and any traveller to Tanzania for any length of time will appreciate the joy of a delicious cheese supplier!). The farm has also received attention from the legendary local homemaker, known as Comrade ‘Kipepe’, meaning ‘butterfly’, who has sculpted his family home entirely from mud, including the table, benches, shelves and water system. Kipepe has now built a mud shop, ‘duka’ in Swahili, at Irente, artistically headed with a wide head of a horned cow.

More homemade goods can be found in production at the landscaped and lovingly tended Catholic Mission of the Montessori Sisters in Ubiri, where wines, cheeses and jams can also be inspected, tasted and bought. The mission can be visited on a three to four hour walking round trip from town. A slightly longer walking trip of between four and five hours leads up to the farmlands of Jaegertal, through an impressive fruit tree nursery and on up to the village of Vuli which has benefit from irrigation, conservation and farming projects. This walk can also include a return trip via the Lushoto Arboretum or Herbarium, an impressive collection of pressed plants and leaves that were collected from all around Tanzania during the German era. To see the collection independently, ask for Mr Msangi or Mr Mabula.

Guides can also lead on a rewarding walk to the Magamba Rainforest, inhabited by troops of dashingly collared colobus monkeys and numerous species of forest bird, including the Usambara akalat and Usambara weaver, making this a particularly rewarding destination for anyone with special interests in birdwatching. It is possible to camp at the quiet site equipped with a loo and running water, near a disused sawmill at the centre of the forest, or to make your way to the comfortable and welcoming lodges at Mkuzi and Migambo, mentioned below.

The walk to Mgamba from town also goes via the royal mountain top village of Kwembago, the ancient centre of the Daffa family, a subclan of the traditionally revered ruling class the Kilindi Dynasty. This trip takes between five and six hours on foot, and returns through the village of Magamba, from where it is also possible to catch a bus back to Lushoto or on to Mlalo.

Longer trips can be made over a period of days, either camping or staying in guesthouses on route. An excellent longer trek leads through the forests, mountains and valleys and villages between Lushoto and the quaint and historic village of Mtae, an important elevated boundary post between the Maasai plains and lands of the Shambaa high on the westernmost rim of the West Usambara escarpment. The first German European missionaries were allowed to build their church in Mtae (sometimes written Mtii), having survived the ordeal of being led to an ancestral burial site by the local chief and amazing him when they were not destroyed or distracted by the potentially fatal mizumu, the spirits of the dead. The panoramic views from here are worth the climb, with mile upon mile of extraordinary landscape stretching to the far horizon to reveal the Southern Pare mountain ranges and Mkomazi game reserve, Nyumba ya Mungu reservoir and sometimes even the peaks of Kilimanjaro some 250 kilometres distant. The first road down the western face is presently being constructed to Mtae with donations from the ancestors of the first european visitors, so forging a historic link between these mountains and the Maasai plains below. A couple of simple but welcoming guesthouses in Mtae provide rooms for just two or three dollars, the Mwivano II is just slightly more costly than the Kuna Maneno. A local café near the bus station provides wholesome plates of local food and homemade breads, and a nearby bar sells beer – although not necessarily cold. Buses between Mtae and Lushoto take around two hours, leaving Lushoto in the mid afternoon and leaving Mtae at 5.30 am.

New tours have recently been added to the range organised by the Cultural Tourism Program, on of which heads even further into the Usambara range, to discover the isolated and idiosyncratic town of Mlalo, clinging high in the hills 30 km from Lushoto. Surrounded by a dramatic backdrop of wild mountain peaks, Mlalo is a rambling sprawl of extraordinary homes designed with two storeys and prettily carved wooden balconies in a neatly cultivated and terraced valley irrigated by the Umba River. The town produces a number of hand crafted pots in the tradition of the Shambaa, who once believed that the creator god Sheuta formed people from the earth as a potter works her earthen vessels. Ancient beliefs hold that pot making is the work of women, with techniques passed down the matrilineal line from mother to daughter. Their pottery and pots made in the nearby village of Kileti are then transported to the Lushoto market for sale. Buses run daily between Lushoto and Mlalo, via Magamba, and take around two hours. The Afilex Hotel is generally recommended as the best guesthouse, although be prepared for reading by gaslamp, as there is no electricity this far into the mountains.

March 2, 2013

The Indian Ocean Islands – Zanzibar – South East Coast

Filed under: A guide to Tanzania,The Indian Ocean Islands,Zanzibar — Tags: , , , , , — Tanzania Odyssey @ 4:44 pm

Zanzibar’s South East Coast

This area of coastline remained the most undeveloped until recently, and some areas still retain a wild sensation, which increases the further south you go. The main road leads to Paje village, about half-way along this stretch of coast, and then turns north to newly built, larger, smarter hotels such as Breezes, the Italian Venta Club Resort, Sultan’s Palace and Karafuu, and south to small, rural villages and clusters of charismatic budget guest houses arrayed along the distant beaches here.

The route to the South East Coast from Stone Town passes through a long avenue of mango trees, now wonderfully mature and providing shady respite along the road, which at this point is straight and narrow, designed for carriages in the days of the Sultans. This avenue of trees was planted by one of Sultan Said’s most beautiful daughters, Princess BiKhole, and has developed a number of rumours about its conception. One tells how she had such an unquenchable desire for beautiful young men that she ensured that each tree was planted by a different desirable slave… It is said that she intended to extend the avenue the full distance to Stone Town, but either ran out of time, mangoes or men. What is true is that no two mango trees standing side by side are the same species, so creating a fantastic spread of colour and fruit through most months of the year.

Further along, are the ruins of Dunga Palace, the old home of the Swahili Great Lord, the ‘Gazetted Monument of the Mwinyi Mkuu’. It remains in good enough condition to be an evocative and worthwhile stopping point; walking among his ancient stone thrones and water features is enough to convince visitors that he enjoyed an impressively opulent dotage. The Mwinyi Mkuu sytstem of rule started in Zanzibar in the 13th century, and continued unhindered until the coming of the Omani Arabs. A shadow of doubt still remains over the questions of their origins, although it is thought that the first Mwinyi Mkuu was Hassan Bin Abubakar, who was then followed by successors. The most powerful and famous of these great lords was Ahmed bin Mohammed, who lived between the years of 1785 and 1865, and it was he who was responsible for building this great palace. Construction of the palace took ten years, mainly between the years of 1845 and 1856. It is said of the Mwinyi Mkuu that ‘his rule was felt in every part of Unguja’, although some areas of the island, such as Tumbatu, had their own subordinate rule. The domain of the Mwinyi Mkuu was distinctly compromised by the advent of the Omani Sultans, and by the reign of Sultan Barghash the traditional Great Lord of Zanzibar stature was reduced essentially to that of a village governor, although in his hey-day he was greatly respected and revered. Relics of these greater days remain in the ruins of this palace, and an impressively hand-painted porcelain bowl that may be of oriental origin is among the few items from this time gathered in the national museum.

Odyssey Travels Tanzania Odyssey Asia Odyssey South America Odyssey